Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

The 21-Day Sugar Detox- Day 19

I'm writing this post as the wind howls around me.  I can hear it banging against the windows. It's a bitter cold, windy night.  I am, however, tucked under my Snuggie, with a fire roaring in the fireplace.  I have just experienced a very good day.  Another good day is under my belt.

I thought I'd go into more detail for you, on what constitutes a good day.  A good day for me means, I have the energy to do the things I need to do. It also means, my pain is at a level I can tolerate.  Since I've gone completely grain-free, my gastrointestinal problems have almost disappeared.  I actually went grain-free two weeks before I started The 21-Day Sugar Detox.  By grain-free, I mean no rice, wheat, corn, or gluten-free mixed flours. I only use Coconut Flour or Almond Flour.  But, the energy and pain levels improved after I began this particular detox.

As a bonus, this program has taught me I don't need those grains anymore. I've been able to find substitutes for all my favorites, pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread.  I've also learned to like foods I didn't much care for before, butternut squash and brussel sprouts. It's taught me how to ADAPT.  Most people view living without these foods as a loss or punishment.  Before this happened to me, I thought about it that way too.  Now, I think about those foods as a punishment.  If I eat them, I'll get sicker.  I could eventually lose my life by eating them.  If that's not the definition of punishment, I don't know what is.  Food does not make us happy.  Food sustains our life.  We should eat to live, not to be happy.

Obviously, we want to eat foods that taste good.  I eat many foods that taste absolutely delicious.  These foods nourish and heal me. That's the difference!  These foods don't harm me.  Yes, it's harder to do. I mean, I can't just pop into any restaurant and order off the menu nonchalantly. I have to plan more, prepare more, and cook more.  But, my life is worth it. Isn't yours?

Speaking of delicious meals, I roasted a beautiful, grass-fed rib roast for dinner.  It was perfectly cooked, medium rare.  On the side, I served mashed cauliflower with Coconut Milk and chives.  Does that sound like I was suffering?  I can assure you, I was not.

Trust me, I know taking that first step to changing your eating habits is tough.  You question your resolve, your strength, and your willpower.  I had to change my way of thinking.  I am not punishing myself. I am keeping myself alive.  So what if I can't eat real pasta again.  I can walk up a flight of stairs, without pain again.  So what if I can never enjoy a regular birthday cake again. I don't have to cover the rashes on my face under layers of makeup, because they aren't there anymore.  Those are trade-offs I'm willing to make!

So, I ask that you take all this in.  Isn't your life worth saving?  If you need any help getting started, just email me or comment below.  Having been through it, I can help you make the transition.  All you have to do is ask.

And, for those of you already on your journey, hang in there. You're proving your health and your life is worth saving. Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment