Search This Blog

Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Cleaning- 10 Best Natural Non-Toxic Cleaning Products That Really Work


Spring Cleaning- 10 Best Natural Non-Toxic Products That Really Work

Saturdays are cleaning day, at my house.  It’s the day when I scrub, scour and shine everything in sight.   It’s the one day when my house is as clean as I want it to be. 

I used to use big name products, because of convenience, mainly.  I knew they weren’t the safest products; but, I really didn’t have the time or money to waste, finding and using more natural products.  Everything was Febreezed and Swiffered to a fresh smelling glimmer.

Then I adopted Boho.  Every Saturday, after I finished cleaning, she would vomit.  All of the cleaning products were making her sick!  I had to make a change.

I researched DIY natural cleaners; and, set about trying them out.  I also researched some of the non-toxic, eco-friendly brands on the market.  I tried some of those out as well.  Anything that made Boho ill, was out.
The following are the 10 Best readymade and DIY products, I have found to be effective:

1.  Baking Soda - I use baking soda for so many things.  I actually have jars of it, scattered around my house, for baking soda emergencies.  It’s great for cleaning sinks, showers, toilets, and greasy pans.  I sprinkle a little baking soda on the surface I want to clean.  Then, I spray on some vinegar, which makes it foam up.  Apply a bit of elbow grease, with a sponge and, ta-da, clean.  It’s also great for freshening carpets and garbage cans.

2.  White Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar-  These are great as all purpose and glass cleaners.  This diy citrus cleaner is easy to make with white vinegar and orange peels.  It works great on stainless steel.  I also mix them with essential oils to make different scented cleaners.  Mixing vinegar with tea tree oil is a great mold deterrent.

3.  Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap-  I add this to some of my DIY cleaner recipes for extra cleaning power.  I also use this to clean my dishes sometimes.

4. Melaleuca Products-  Melaleuca is a factory direct, online company who makes non-toxic, eco-friendly cleaning , personal care, and nutritional products.  I’m a preferred member, which helps me save money.  I simply place my order every month for the products I need.  And, their cleaning products are phenomenal.  I use almost all of their cleaning products.


5.  Grab Green Automatic Dishwashing Detergent-  I like the red pear scented ones.  Many of the natural dishwasher tablets I have tried, do not work.  I’ve even tried to make my own and ended up with a chalky film over my dishes.  This is the only one I’ve found that is effective.

6.  Seventh Generation Stainless Steel Cleaner-  This is the best natural, non-toxic, stainless steel cleaner I have tried.  None of the others I tried, did the job as well.

7.  Method and Seventh Generation products (general)- These are two companies I trust not to poison me and my family.  Although I’m not currently using any Method products, I have used a few in the past and found them to be effective.  Seventh Generation has been a favorite at my house for many years.  I love their paper products, especially.


8. Earth Friendly Products Ecos Laundry Detergent -  This is another product I’ve used for many years.  I love the Magnolia scented formula!  They also make a Pet’s Formula to wash your pet’s toys and bedding, safely.

9.  Essential Oils-  I mainly add Lemon, Thyme, Tea Tree (Melaleuca), Clove, Lavender, and eucalypsus to my vinegar or castile soap mixtures.  I also use them to scent my home by adding about 20 drops to a Small spray bottle filled with distilled water and a couple of drops of vitamin e oil.

10.  Fruit peelings-  I clean hard water stains with banana and lemon peels.  I use apple peels to scent my home by boiling them in a pot of water with spices.  And, of course, I make my all purpose cleaner with orange peels.


These are the products I use every Saturday.

 For more DIY cleaning recipes, check out my Pinterest board, Green Cleaning.

Happy Cleaning and God Bless!


Resources:

#naturalcleaners #diyrecipes #greencleaning

No comments:

Post a Comment