Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

How To Stay AIP Paleo When Dining Out

Okay, I'll start with the bad news. The new website is NOT up and running like I'd hoped. I ran into some technical problems late Friday night (actually, it was more like early Saturday morning!).  Unfortunately, the stress landed me a new infection to deal with.  My hubby, being supportive, declared Saturday, "No work Saturday". I, being tired and frustrated, thought that was a great idea.

So, Saturday, we went to the theater to see American Hustle, which was pretty darn good. Those who know me are aware of my love of anything 70's. The wardrobe and Soundtrackwere amazing.  The worst part, was not being able to enjoy the buttered popcorn!  In fact, all I had while watching the movie was a bottle of water. I know bottled water is not optimal; but, I was not going to sit there with nothing to eat or drink.  Note to self: next time bring a banana or kale chips.

After the movie, I was HUNGRY.  We were enjoying our time away from home; so, we set out to find a restaurant with highest chance of approved foods for me.  I chose Houlihan's.  Once we were seated, I perused the menu. I settled on an organic greens salad with grilled chicken.  The only ingredients I would have to leave out were almonds, goat milk cheese, and the dressing.  When the waitress took my order, I stated simply that I have food allergies. I requested the items I needed removed. I also requested that no seasonings be used and asked for small bowls of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I requested all of my changes with a smile on my face and in a kind manner.  She was very receptive and brought my food exactly as specified.

I believe it's always important to be polite to your waiter or waitress. It also helps if you state that you have food allergies immediately.  It lets them know you're not just being picky or difficult.  You don't have to go into detail because nobody's got time for that.  If something is done not to your specifications, calmly request that it be changed.  Remember, you want them on your side.

Sunday was a bit more of a challenge.  After church, my hubs and I went to a local diner for lunch.  I really wasn't much in the mood for a salad or chicken.  I was going to try something new, the bacon, avocado burger. I began my order the same as the day before. Then, I asked if she could find out if the burger meat was just ground beef.  She came back with the answer of yes.  I, then, ordered the burger with no bun or cheese. Instead of fries, I ordered a side salad with no tomato or dressing.  Since I wasn't sure of the quality of their balsamic vinegar and olive oil, I chose to ask for lemon wedges instead. I would mash the avocado and mix it with lemon juice to create a dressing.  When my food came,I set to work creating a yummy bacon, avocado burger salad.  It was delicious!

It's true, you have to be a bit creative. But, you can dine out and remain safe. Always remember to ask about hidden ingredients or spices.  

Just to be on the safe side, I took two Activated Charcoal capsules at the end of my meal. Everyone with food intolerances or allergies should carry some in their purse or car.  In case you are accidentally exposed to an intolerance, it can help to bind to the toxin and remove it safely.  Anytime, I eat something a little iffy, I pop a couple of capsules.  You shouldn't do this every day.  But, once in a while won't hurt you.

It also helps if you have time to prepare. When I know I'm going to a particular restaurant, I'll check out the menu online.  In advance, I'll decide what I'm going to order and what omissions or substitutions I have to make.  I always keep some items in my purse, like my Stevia .  Sometimes, I'll put foods in a small containerand pack them in my purse.  I do this with Coconut Milk, Balsamic Vinegar, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I'm very discreet about adding the item to my food or drink.  Most people I eat with, don't even notice. If you're going to do this, put the small container in a plastic bag, in case it spills. I haven't had that happen yet. But, it could happen.

I hope these tips help.  It can be difficult to enjoy yourself when you're trying not to get poisoned.  With a little prep work, your dining experience can be much easier to handle.

Hopefully, I will have the new website up tomorrow.  I loved my weekend away from work.  However, I love working too.  I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Until then, goodnight and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment