Search This Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Why Is AIP Paleo So Hard To Follow?


So, I'm a little annoyed right now. I just spent an hour on Pinterest, trying to find an AIP paleo recipe for blackberry cobbler.  Needless to say, I found nothing.

But, that's not what really annoyed me. What put me in a snit, was the many recipes I clicked on that said they were dairy or allergen free, then proceeded to have ingredients listed including almond flour, butter, eggs, or/and buttermilk (yea, like that's not made with milk). That's not allergy free in my book!

While I can appreciate people trying to make a buck, jumping on the paleo bandwagon, without properly researching it, is just mean.  It's hard enough on those of us who must eat this way because of health reasons. To search through recipes that claim to be allergen free, only to discover they indeed contains allergens, is terribly disappointing.

To those of you who create paleo recipes, please consider the fact that there are many food allergies that people suffer from. If your recipe contains almond flour, consider that someone may have a nut allergy.  If it contains eggs or dairy (this includes cheese, butter, cream, BUTTERMILK, etc.), someone may have an allergy to those ingredients.  This would render your recipe simply primal or paleo (no dairy, as far as I'm concerned) not allergen free. And, these are just a portion of the allergies people experience.  Heck, some people are allergic to coconuts!

All I'm saying, is that perhaps, you want to use some different terminology, to not mislead your audience.

Well, that's enough about that.  For those of you who are in the same boat I am, take heart. Most of us will be able to add foods back eventually.  It really hasn't been that tough on me. I haven't been thinking much about the foods I can't have.  I've been much too busy trying to create new recipes of foods I can have (blackberry cobbler is one of them). 

It just hit home last night, when one of my students in RE class asked what food I was giving up for Lent.  I thought about it for a bit. Hmm, I've already given up so many foods. I don't think I can afford to give up any others.  Finally, I answered my student, saying, "Well, since I only eat meat, veggies, and fruit, I'm not going to be giving up food for Lent.  I'll find something else to give up."  My answer brought gasps and expressions of horror from the little ones. I ended up answering question for 20 minutes on the yummy foods I couldn't eat, and how I could possibly survive without candy and cake. Kids are so funny!

These are the kinds of things that make eating this way so hard.  It's not the diet itself that's so tough.  It's the misinformation out there in internetland, and the misunderstanding from society that makes our journey difficult.  I can't tell you how many people have said, to my face, that this whole, grain free thing is all a hoax.  Others have rolled their eyes at me when I've explained my diet. RUDE!

Don't let anyone, or anything deter you from your goal of getting healthy!  Let them roll their eyes!  We'll see who's left standing in the end!  All I know is, I haven't had to visit my doctors, or the hospital, in four months. Now, that's progress!

And, now for the good news! I should have the new blog up and running by Sunday!  It's going to be specifically dedicated to paleo and autoimmune health.  I'm putting the finishing touches on it right now.  With this new blog, I'll be able to focus on providing you with Autoimmune approved recipes, health updates, and DIY beauty and housecleaning products. I'll post you as soon as it's released.

Once the new blog is online, this blog will include topics ranging from alternative health remedies, DIY, repurposing, natural pet care, gardening, and whole food recipes. Basically, anything that has to do with living a holistic and sustainable lifestyle will be covered.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy both blogs!  If there are any particular topics you would like me to cover, let me know. Should you have any questions you need answered, let me know. I welcome everyone's imput. 
Email me: tmoperillo@gmail.com or Comment below.

Until next post, goodnight and God bless!
 BOHO AND MO

No comments:

Post a Comment