Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Gluten Free Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta Recipe


Now that I have my other blog running, I can focus this blog on topics not related to paleo and autoimmune healing. Coming, over the next few weeks, will be posts covering indoor gardening, natural pet care tips, spring cleaning ideas, and DIY recipes for all sorts of things. I have lots of fun topics to cover for you.

I decided to begin my series of posts with a pretty simple recipe.  Most of you don't know that every night I prepare three different meals for my family.  I cook my meal, AIP paleo. I cook my hubby's meal, almost anything goes. And, I prepare Boho's meal, baked, organic chicken thighs with quinoa, veggies, and Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.  Now, I do prepare Boho's food in advance. Usually, I make a week's worth on Sundays.  So, I simply heat hers up every night.  Good thing I love cooking!

This recipe represents a typical meal I would prepare for my hubby.  I don't always make him gluten free foods.  But, if I feel he's had too many gluten filled carbs, out come the gluten free ingredients.  He's Italian-American; so, I do tend to cook meals with that in mind.  He loves Italian food and good, old American classics.  But, because he has a family history of heart disease and diabetes, I try to make his meals as healthy as possible.  Sometimes it's appreciated, sometimes not.

So, here is my recipe for gluten free Italian sausage and pepper pasta:

Ingredients

4 Handfuls Uncooked, Gluten-Free Penne
2 Italian Sausage links
1 Red Sweet Pepper, sliced in strips
1 Yellow Sweet Pepper, sliced in strips
1/2 Green Sweet Pepper, sliced in strips
1/2 Sweet Onion, sliced in strips
1 Clove Garlic, sliced fine
2 Tbsp Organic Basil, dried
2 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil + extra for drizzling 
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sausage links, onion and peppers on Cookie Sheet. Drizzle onions and peppers with Olive Oil ( I use regular, not extra virgin, olive oil when cooking above 350 degrees).  Place pan in oven until sausages are cooked through, about 45 minutes.  While sausage is cooking, cook pasta, according to package.  Four handfuls dry should net you four cups cooked.  Once pasta is done, drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.  Place pasta back into pot and set aside.  When sausage is cooked, remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute. Add onions, peppers and garlic to Pasta Pot.  Slice sausages into bite sized pieces and add to Pasta Pot.  Add basil, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and olive oil to pot.  Heat on medium/low setting, adding small amounts of reserved pasta water until thick sauce forms. Remove from heat. Stir well to coat pasta with sauce. Serve. Enjoy!

Serves 4 ( or 2 hungry people)
Cook Time: 1 Hour

Goodnight and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment