Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Embracing The Paleo Approach


Since Monday, I have completely embraced Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach. After reading the entire book over the weekend, I decided it was the best approach to take in treating my autoimmune flare.  The science, illustrated by Dr. Ballantyne in her book, gave me all of the information I needed to make an educated decision on steps to take to get my body under control again. I firmly believe that anyone with an autoimmune disorder should read this book and implement the diet and lifestyle changes.

Through the detailed information in The Paleo Approach, I have not only learned the origin of my first diagnosed autoimmune disease. But, I have been able to put all of the puzzle pieces together, to complete the puzzle on how I ended up with four diagnosed autoimmune conditions.

My first autoimmune disorder was diagnosed when I was only seven years old.  That diagnosis was vitiligo, a condition of depigmentation of skin in patches.  At the time, which was the mid 70's, we were not told this was an autoimmune disorder.  In fact, I didn't even realize it was a part of the puzzle until I read this book.

Several years later, after years of suffering from many different ailments and infections, I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome, a disorder believed to have autoimmune origins.  Again, I was not told of this autoimmune connection.  I learned this in the book as well.

Then, after years of suffering, surgeries, and continued failing health, I received the diagnosis of lupus and lichen planus, two autoimmune disorders.

Of course, my first question is, could these newly diagnosed disorders have been avoided if we had been made aware the first two were autoimmune in nature.  I'm not sure of the answer.  I understand there really wasn't much research on autoimmune disease back then.  Heck, there isn't much NOW!

Well, I guess that's neither here nor there.  Bottom line is what I do now.  I, for one, am sick of being sick.  If you are also sick of being sick, you should seriously consider reading The Paleo Approach.  Even if you haven't been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition, you can benefit from reading it.  I'm thoroughly convinced after reading it, I know more about autoimmune than most doctors do.  I know there are many undiagnosed people out there.  I know they have been told over and over again that it's all in their head.  You may be one of them!

On to what I'm doing about it!  Like I said before, I am fully embracing The Paleo Approach.  Monday morning, I shopped for all of the foods I would need for the week.  I had to go a little out of my way to find some foods.  But, I am resolved to do whatever is necessary to get my disorders into full remission.  I even bought foods I never had much of a liking for, liver and beets. And, some foods I have never tried before, jicama, Kombucha, and dandelion greens. I, also, bought foods that my Ma used to prepare for me (I've never prepared them myself), wild rabbit and a whole coconut.

Tuesday, I cooked and prepped all day. I cooked a pot of collard greens and kale. I started my bone broth in my slow cooker. I diced onions, fennel, and butternut squash. I prepared and jarred dandelion green and beet salads.  I did everything I could to make dinners for the week, easier to prepare.

Another big project I accomplished, was ridding my pantry, refrigerator, and freezers of all the foods I could no longer eat (except the stuff my husband eats, of course).  As a side note, I don't waste foods. I gave some foods to family, others to the local food pantry.  I have to say, my pantry looked a little sad.  There aren't many pantry items allowed on this nutritional plan.

So, now I'm ready!  I'm three days in.  My biggest challenge is getting my latest flare to calm itself.  I've already noticed an increase in my energy level. I'm hoping my itching and pain will be gone soon.  That would be amazing.

Because of this wretched flare, getting my new website up and running is taking more time than I anticipated. I'm hoping to launch next week.  I will be focusing on autoimmune disease, paleo, and natural healing topics exclusively.  This blog will go back to the topics of DIY and homesteading.

I encourage any of you who have, or suspect you have an autoimmune disease, to check out Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's blog.  You can also find her on Facebook.  And, if you would like to order her book, The Paleo Approach, you can find it here: The Paleo Approach

Until next post, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment