Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2013

Gluten Free Products Reviews Plus Quick Chicken and Waffles Recipe


Last night, I was pretty tired at dinner time.  I really didn't feel like making a big meal; so, I decided to raid the pantry and freezer.  I just bought these frozen waffles from Trader Joe's and decided to give them a try.  Not wanting just waffles, I pulled out an organic chicken breast from the fridge. I was going to make some chicken and waffles. I grabbed my Schar Gluten Free Bread Crumbs from the pantry and set off to make a quick dinner.
I dredged the chicken breast in the bread crumbs mixed with a little salt, cayenne, and garlic powder. Then, put the chicken breast in my toaster oven on 400 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping once. Once chicken was cooked, I put my waffles in the toaster. Then, I sandwiched the chicken breast between the two waffles and poured Trader Joe's Organic Maple Syrup on top.
It was delicious!  The Trader Joe's Wheat Free Toaster Waffles were so good, I couldn't tell they were gluten free.  Even the texture was perfect.  I would recommend them to anyone who likes frozen waffles for a quick meal.
I would also like to recommend Schar Gluten Free Bread Crumbs. I have used them a few times now and they have never let me down. I've even used them to make meatballs.  They are a great replacement for regular bread crumbs.
On a side note, I also tried the new Pillsbury Gluten Free Pizza Dough. It's sold in a tub. Unfortunately, I have nothing good to report. The taste was bland. The texture was too thick, crumbly, and doughy. It ruined my pizza. I was not happy.
Oh, and I tried Amy's Frozen Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese. Can you tell my husband has started hockey season again? I've been left to make dinner for one.  Anyway, the Mac and Cheese was awesome, very creamy and delicious.
Did you know that Trader Joe's has a printed list of the gluten free foods they carry. All you have to do is ask someone who works there to get one for you. I just got mine today. It's quite extensive.
A little trick I learned today, to remember which products are gluten free when it's not on the package, write GF on the label with a Sharpee. I know it seems simple. But, when you're buying different foods for different members of your family, it can drive you crazy figuring out who can have what.

No comments:

Post a Comment