Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2013

French Fried! Are McDonald's Fries Really Gluten Free?


Yea, that's Boho with Santa! Last weekend, I was running errands with my husband. You know, buying Christmas gifts, bringing Boho to see Santa, and getting groceries for holiday baking. When my husband suggested we get a quick bite to eat, I began to panic a bit. My choices were pretty limited; and, I was starving. McDonalds was in sight. So, that's where we ended up. I had read that the fries were gluten free. I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical. But, as I'm known to do, I decided to become a Guinee pig. I ordered a large fries and down the hatch they went.

Well, about ten minutes later, my lips became swollen with hives! I then broke out in hives around my mouth and on my neck. I looked like I had a bad lip injection job! Yikes!

About an hour later, I had pains in my stomach. Next, my tongue began to swell.  I was miserable!

Since then, I have been trying to heal myself. I have sores in my mouth, my gums are bleeding again. It seems all the progress I made was completely destroyed. I'm not sure if I reacted so badly because I was so careful before that day; or, if the fries were simply poison to my system.  All I know, is that the damage is real and hard to remedy.

Please take this as a warning. I will no longer believe a company when they say their foods are gluten free. I will do more research.  Better yet, I'll pack my own snacks when I know I'll be away from home for awhile. It is possible that the fries were fried in contaminated oil. But, restaurants need to be more careful when stating their foods are gluten free. They need to be more aware of cross-contamination issues.

So, now I'm on a strict Paleo regimen, No potatoes, no grain of any kind, no rice, and absolutely NO SUGAR. This Guinee pig is retiring for the time being. I had actually started to feel good again before this happened.  I think we all think that we can loosen up after we start to feel better.  We forget what it's like to feel horrible everyday.  We are human, after all.

I can tell you I will NEVER forget AGAIN! I hope my misery can serve as a warning to you. Be careful who you trust in the food industry!

I should end this post by stating that I do not hate McDonalds. I think they are a great company who provides jobs for so many people. I would, however, urge them to review their gluten free guidelines. People's health and well being are on the line. For some of us, this is NOT simply a fad. It's life or death!

No comments:

Post a Comment