Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Intermittent Fasting- Works For Me

After turning the big 40, I noticed the pounds slowly creeping up on me. Before I knew what was happening, I had gained 30 pounds in three years. Yes, I did the math. That was 10 pounds a year. Now, it's not like I had let myself go or anything. I am still one of the healthiest people I know. I was still working out 3 to 5 days a week.  I was still eating healthy foods, save for a treat once in a while.  Plus I noticed belly fat increasing.  We all know that belly fat is the most dangerous fat because it settles around our organs, especially our hearts. I had to do something, and fast.
That's when I discovered fasting. I mean, it's got fast right in the name.  Actually, it's intermittent fasting.  I discovered intermittent fasting while reading one of my health based emags.  The science behind it seemed compelling.  Study after study proved improvements to participants' risk of heart disease, diabetes, and dementia. Count me in.
I decided to try The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley first.  This is based on the 5:2 system. Basically, you eat normally 5 days a week, then fast 2 days a week.  Now, by fasting, I mean you cut your calorie intake to 500 for women or 600 for men. You can choose the two days you fast.  I chose Mondays 
( because I'm miserable anyway) and Wednesdays ( because that's my busiest day).  My first fasting day was not bad. I really didn't feel too hungry.  I decided to eat most of my calories at dinner since that's what I was used to.  Easy as pie!
I breezed through my first two weeks and lost 5 pounds.  The next week, I lost 0 pounds.  Fasting days started to become tiresome.  I was feeling hungry.  The following week, I lost 0 pounds.  I knew I needed a change.
I liked the science behind fasting.  I wanted to find an alternative.  I realize that each person is different.  It's a journey to find what's going to work for you.  That brought me to The 8 Hour Diet by David Zinczenko and Peter Moore.
The 8 Hour Diet requires you eat all meals within an 8 hour time frame, 3 days a week.  Again, I chose Monday, added Tuesday, and kept Wednesday.  I made it through my first week easily and lost 3 pounds.  After my second week, I'd lost 2 more pounds.  I also enjoyed this system more.  It mimicked the way I ate before I fell into the trap of eating 6 small meals a day.  I always felt like I was shoving food in my mouth.  I mean, people work for a living. We can't always be eating, eating, eating!
By the end of my fourth week, I'd met my goal of 15 pounds down.  I decided to continue this method of intermittent fasting for its health benefits. I feel so much healthier and have energy to burn.  I now practice 8 hour eating every day instead of just three days a week.  It works for me.
My advice is, if you have any interest in intermittent fasting, try these methods out.  I know many people who have found success with both. It's all about finding what's going to work for you.
I feel the need to mention that I have not received any compensation for reviewing these methods. My review is solely a reflection of my personal experiences.
Me- 15 pounds down!

No comments:

Post a Comment